In the world of business, an individual or a team plays a very crucial role in forming companies and managing their regular activities as well. Therefore, it is necessary for every organization to have skilled, trained and qualified people so that they can eventually help the companies in growing and also achieving their goals and objectives (North and Kumta, 2018). It is said that the managers of the organization are having the responsibility to make develop the groups and individuals. In this report, the chosen organization is Bentley. It is basically a British manufacturer of luxury cars and SUVs and it is also the subsidiary of Volkswagen group. In this report, there will be a discussion related to appropriate and professional knowledge, skills and behavior of an HR, difference between organizational and professional and between training and development and also the importance of HPW contributes to employee will aso be covered. Along with this, the various approaches to performance management with an example will also be focused upon.
P1 Determine appropriate and professional knowledge, skills and behaviours that are required by HR professionals
In every organization , the human resource managers plays a very important rol in determining the needs and demands of the employees and also in finding out the issues that are going on in the organization. They also helps in finding the ways to overcome the problems as well. In Bentley also, the HR manager plays a very important role in recruiting the most effective employees for the company and making them ready for the company as well. These HR managers have the responsibility to make plans for the performance of various kinds of activities inside the organizations. These plans help in completing the business objectives of the organization as well (Oliver and et. al., 2014). Therefore, it is very essential that the HR manager should be skilled and experienced so that the person can handle the complete situation in a very effective manner. Some of the common skills, knowledge and behavior that are needed by HR manager are discussed below:
Knowledge of HR: These can be defined as the information, set of abilities that a person gains from specific situation, experiences or education they have. Therefore, it is important for the HR managers to be extremely knowledgeable in their field so that they can use it in their organization smartly (Rienties and Kinchin, 2014). The knowledge which the HR managers of Bentley are required to have are as follows:
- Communication: It is said that the HR manager must be well communicator so that they can easily communicate with their employees and discuss their ideas and plans with them. While doing this, they can make use of various forms of communication like social media, TV, newspaper etc.
- Law and government: This is considered as one of the most important form of knowledge that an HR Is required to possess so that they can help their employees and the organization in all the kinds of legal matters. Through legal knowledge, they will also be able to implement proper rules and regulations inside the organization so that the business activities are conducted in a legal manner.
Behaviour of HR: It can be described as the way in which the HR managers behaves with others inside the company. Some of the basic forms of behaviour that an Hr manager is required to have are as follows:
- Adaptability: This kind of behavior helps the HR managers in the organization in assembling the applicable information and addressing multiple request rising in changing environment by applying critical intelligent.
- Accountability: With the help of this behavior, the hr managers will be able to take the responsibility of reducing the issues of the company and also improving the workforce usage as well.
Skills of an HR: These can be considered as an ability of a person through which they can perform various kinds of tasks in any kind of situation (Robbins and O’Gorman, 2015). These skills are as follows:
- Organising people – It can be defined a power with which the employees are able to understand the actual talent of the employees so that they can use it in improving the performance of employees. These HR managers should know how to handle all kinds of situations that might arise inside the organization.
- Skill full team: The main cause of HR is to design a highly skilled staff in Bentley so that task are completed well on time. They hire skill people for their outsource stores so that customer are managed well in proper manner.
P2 Analyse a completed personal skills audit to identify appropriate knowledge, skills, and behaviours
Personal skill audit can be described as a process of analysing, measuring and reporting of the abilities that are present in an individual or in a team. With the help of this, the managers can know about the strengths and weaknesses of the employees and once its known then it can be used to improve the productivity of the employees (Thorpe, 2016). As Bentley is a very big organization so the HR manager if the company should also be efficient so that they can handle their activities in a proper manner. My personal skill audit is mentioned below:
|Skills and Ability
|Score from others
|Team Building Quality
|Information Technology Skills
|Time Management skills
From the above table, it can be said that some of my skills are very good and some needs improvement. I am required to work on my team building as well as decision making skill and otherwise rest of my skills are pretty good.’
The Strengths and weaknesses that are assessed through the personal audit report are discussed below:
|· I have great communication skills due to which i am able to communicate with my fellow employees in a very esyy manner.
· I am also a good problem solver as i am able to find appropriate solutions of the issues that are going on in the organization.
· I have a string confidence level due to which i am able to interact with anyone about anything.
|· I am not a multi tasker and due to this weakness, i am not able to finish my work on time sometimes.
· I am also not efficient in making good decisions and this directly have a strong impact on my job role.
· I also feel that i need to work on my IT skills as i am not able to make reports that are required to be submitted by me to the management.
Personal development plan (PDA): In order to overcome the weaknesses, HR manager is required to create an action plan. It is prepared below:
|I need to improve my decision making skills as it is very weak and it is impacting the company as well.
|I want a confidence that whatever decision i will make that will be for the betterment of the company only and i am having the capability to make decisions.
|I need to take guidance from the experienced people and also bring self confidence as well.
|Time management skills.
|I often get late in submitting my work and thus i need to work on my time management issue.
|I should be able to complete all my work on time and submit it as well. I can do this by doing slight changes in my schedule.
|I should start practicing managing the small tasks within time frame then i will be able to handle big tasks also some day.
|3 – 4 months.
|I am very weak in IT work and thus i am not able to make my reports on time as well due to which it gets delayed.
|I should be able to make use of effective techniques in the IT section so that I can complete my work on time.
|I need to get professional training in order to improve my IT skills.
M1 Provide a detailed professional skills audit that demonstrates evidence of personal reflection and evaluation
According to the personal skill audit, i have good communication skills which mean that i am capable of communicating with the employees in an efficient manner. I also assessed my team building quality and it is ascertained that in the eyes of others my team building quality is highly effective but i have realised myself that in need to work on it a little more. Along with this, i also have other skills like problem solving skills, high confidence level etc.
But, along with strength there is always weakness. I have came to know that i need to work on my decision making skills as i often end up taking wrong decisions for myself as well as the company. Therefore, it is very important to improve it as it is impacting the company in a negative manner. Along with this, my time management skills and also my IT skills also needs to be improved.
The development plan of Bentley for achieving the sustainable business performance is as follows:
- The first step is to define the aims and objectives of the industry
- The next step is to put the tasks and activities that are of high priority.
- After this, the deadline is put for particular tasks that needs to be completed
- Now, the strengths of the company needs to be found out
- After this, technical skills and qualities needs to be enhanced
- Take feedback from senior executives
- Enhance skills and qualities for promotion and opportunities
- Analyze the solutions of the challenges(Gominah, 2015).
P3 Analyse the difference between organizational and individual learning, training, and development.
The differences between individual learning aand organizational learning for the HR mangers of Bentley are as follows:
|· Whenever an employee learns a new thing in the organization then is generally termed as individual learning. It is also gained through self interest of an individual (Hunter and Saunders, 2016).
· These kinds of learning are linked with the development of productivity and execution of an individual.
· It is always said that the individuals needs to be aware about their skills and abilities so that they can improve them during the individual learning process.
· These kinds of learning are also developed when the employees are exposed with the external environment (Khumalo, 2015).
|· It is a kind of learning which is developed when the complete staffs learns a new skill for the betterment of the company. There, the skills which are learned help the organization in achieving their goals and objectives.
· For achieving the organizational learning, the management is required to be transparent in their working area so that the employees get to know where development is required. The companies are required to promote their employees from lower level to higher level so that their learning can be developed.
· It is always said that the new management should always open gates of opportunities for their employees so that they can grow and develop their learning as well.
· The HR manager of Bentley should apply unique tools and modern styles of learning that aids in contribution of company success.
The difference between training and development for individuals and training and development for team are as follows:
|Training and development for individual
|Training and development for organizational level
|· In this kind od learning, the employees are required to develop their skills and abilities for themselves so that they can make use of it while doing their work.
· Like any other company, Bentley is also providing individual training to their employees so that they can gain those skills which are required in them for performing their jobs.
|· Organizational training can be described as a process where the companies provide training to their employees so as to complete their organizational activities.
· These trainings are given so as to develop the skills and also in enhancing the status of the company at the marketplace (Krishnan, 2017).
· The staff members who have just joined also have to undergo such kind of training programs so that they can understand everything about the company.
P4 Analyse the need for continuous learning and professional development to drive sustainable business performance
In a business organization, every company wants that their employees should be trained and also possess professional approaches so as to do their activities in the company. Therefore, the HR manager of Bentley also wants that their employees should also get engaged in some kind of continuous learning so that they can get professionally developed (Malik, 2018).
It can also be said like when an person developed their skills and qualities so as to reach at a particular status in their company then it is termed as continuous professional development. These skills are often confused with the academic skills but these are completely different. These are the form of skills which is learned inside the company only by the experts. These kinds of developments take place in order to grow in a professional world. These new skills are only related with the particular job of the employees. Once the employee gets more skilled then they get to interact more with their senior members. It is also dependent on the employees focus on them (McKenzie and et. al., 2018).
It is known to all that for the development of the company, it is very important that the employees must be developed and thus the companies support the employees completely when they try to develop their skills. The employees who are working close with the organization know that what kind of skills are more important for them and how can it be developed. With these kinds of awareness, the business gets developed. Therefore, the continuous development programs are considered very important for the companies.
The benefits of continuous professional development are as follows:
- It is very much effective in improving the individual skills and through this the companies also get developed eventually (Muenjohn and et. al., 2013).
- Through CPD, the workforce gets skilled and through this their work performance gets improved and eventually the business gets developed as well.
- The new skilled employees are very helpful for the organization as they can be used by them in makin new strategies and plans for the organisation that can help them in development.
- With the help of Continuous professional development, the employees ges more confident and work in a free manner as they understand that their management understand their importance and are there to help them in every manner (Stanton and et. al., 2017).
M2 Apply learning cycle theories to analyze the importance of implementing continuous professional development
There are various kinds of learning cycle theories available so as to manage the business activities. With the help of these theories, continuous learning and development program is also implemented. In this report, Kolb theory will be implemented by the management of Bentley. This theory has four stages that are significant for the continuous specialized improvement in the business field. These stages are discussed below:
Concrete Experience: Under this, the experience of the individuals related to the regular day activities of the companies is discussed. These activities are like involve personal experience, professional experience, or educational experience. Through this, the employees helps in understanding their skills and qualities and thus they can understand that the direction in which they are moving is correct or not (Tia and et. al., 2016).
Reflective observation: Under this, the employee does a deep observation and ges to learn something from a situation or gains some positive aspect from something then it is termed as Reflective observation. These kinds of observations are required for some specific positions only.
Abstract conceptualization: It is a kind of a theoritical approach in the field of business. It explains that the management should try to notice the opinion of people who are generally unapproachable or unresponsive towards the business activities. It is considered as a very necessary step for the company.
Active experimentation: In this stage, the concepts from the reflective obvservation stages and the intellectual concept stage are taken. Here, the employees which actually deserves the qualifications of the need for helping the development of the corporate in the markets, so the continuous professional development can be implemented after the process of testing (Wiek and et. al., 2015).
P4 Demonstrate understanding of how HPW contributes to employee engagement and competitive advantage within a specific organizational situation.
Bentley Motors is one of the largest automobile companies in The United Kingdom. The company is known for the high-quality cars that it manufactures. Employee engagement refers to the sense of belongingness that an employee feels towards its company and towards the goals of the company. Employee engagement in the organization is a step towards the customer engagement in the company. It can be seen that the company Bentley is working with the values if High Performance Working. The Bentley is using the HPW method to create its larger share in the market.
There are a number of benefits that arise out of the High-Performance Working. The following are some of the benefits which arise out of High-Performance Working:
- Better work life balance.
- The better attitude of staff members.
- An environment of trust and respect.
- Positive employee relationship.
The high-performance working leads to a better success and growth of an organization which automatically leads to better increased income and better profitability of the company. High performance working leads to smooth working of an organization. HPW enables Bentley to reach the heights of success (Woodcock, 2017). After the HPW has been executed in the business area of Bentley, the whole market share of the company has increased. In this organisation, the mindset of the employees towards their work or task to be performed is positive. This leads to better growth of the company and thus increases the market share of the company in the outer market. Bentley, also, time to time, keeps a check on their prices and formulates that which leads to increase in their market share.
With the application of High-Performance Working, an organization can lead to capturing a large market share. There are various benefits of a company that helps the Bentley in expanding its outer market share (Hawkins, 2017). Some of such benefits also helped the company, Bentley, to increase its share in the market. High performance working helps Bentley in the smooth running and performance of its business activities and functions. In addition to it, the employees of the company also have a positive mindset towards their work and they work in an active, involved, and free manner. The company has observed an increased creativity of its employees towards the work and also the assistance of better and creative ideas leading towards the growth of the company. A stronger association with the internal and the external settings of the organization has been observed after the implementation of the high-performance working. The implementation of high-performance working has led Bentley towards the attainment of the attention of more customers in the market. The company has been able to develop and grow its market share in the outer market area. The high-performance working leads to better development of information and knowledge amongst the employees of the company (Housley, 2017).
P6 Evaluate different approaches to performance management (e.g. collaborative working) and demonstrate with specific examples of how they can support high-performance culture and commitment
A number of methods are available for the administration of the project. Collaborative working is an act where two or more people in an organization work towards the attainment of one common purpose (Lock and Heere, 2017). Collaborative working helps in evaluating that business plan which emerged in the trade and business surroundings. For each and every company the first concern is to manage the project in the trade and business environment. In collaborative working two or more than two employees of the business work together with a common and composed working motive. The company, Bentley, has lately started operating on the approach of collaborative working. The collaborative working provides an organization with a large number of benefits (Landsberg, 2015)
Following are the reasons elaborating and explaining the benefits of the term collaborative working:
- The practice of self-analysis can be done in the business settings using the collaborative working. The employees of the company have the capability to judge the performance and operations of the company. The employees of the company are expected to have a piece of prior knowledge about the strengths and weaknesses of the market of the company.
- The collaborative working has the power of increasing the power solving capacity of the company’s people. Once they have a piece of knowledge about the strength and weaknesses of the members of the staff of the company, they have the capability of issues resolving with affecting the performance of the company in the market place.
The technique of collaborative working is used by Bentley to ensure the smooth functioning of the company’s business functions. The company also collaborates and interacts with the other company of in the industry to improve the business functioning of the company (Parker, D.W. and et. al., 2015).
M4 Critically evaluate the different approaches and make judgments on how effective they can be to support high performance culture and commitment
The method which helps and assists the business towards its project in the workplace is known as project administration. There are several approaches and methods which can help the business in running the functioning of its projects in a smooth and better way.
Following are some approaches for the project management of an organization:
- Comparative approach – the comparative approach is a method of project management that helps the manager to evaluate the performance of the company by comparing it with another project.
- Attribute approach-the attribute approach of project management is an approach that focuses on the skills, features, and characteristics of the company to help the business reach success and growth.
- Quality approach- the quality approach of the project management which helps in solving the issues and problems in a business project. It is an approach which helps proper maintaining and managing of the business project.
- Result approach– the result approach is that method of project management that increases the capabilities of the workers of an organization to understand. It helps in attaining a greater outcome.
D2 Provide a valid synthesis of knowledge and information resulting in inappropriate judgments on how HPW and mechanisms used to support HPW lead to improved employee engagement, commitment, and competitive advantage.
The high-performance working helps the business to capture a larger market share in its outer market area. It helps in attaining a greater customer attention. It provides the business an assistance towards achieving higher success and growth. The high-performance working (HPW) provides the staff of the organization with better capabilities and also provides them a better competitive advantage in the market in its business operations and functioning. There are various researches done which tells that the high-performance working helps in increasing the capabilities, skills, and knowledge of the employees in an organization. It also helps in the better and smooth running of business functions and operations. It helps in developing a greater customer market in the outer market of the business. It also helps the employees to work in a free and active manner and also increases their creativity towards the work of the organization. They are able to work in a more advanced manner than before on the basic problems (Raes and et. al., 2015). The high-performance working helps in providing a greater efficiency and effectiveness in the working of the employees of a business organization. The employees also work with a free and proactive mindset towards their work and are keen to develop more skills and increase their knowledge.
From the above report, it can be concluded that an human resource manager plays a very important role in an organization and they help an organization in getting the right talent inside the organization so that the goals and objectives of the company can be achieved. They also helps the management in making effective teams of employees through developing their knowledge and skills. In this report, there is a discussion on various performance management approaches through which the employees skills can be calculated by the employer and once it is known then they can start working on its improvement. Here, it is also discussed that it is very important for the companies to involve in continuous learning and development programs so that the employees can also develop themselves with the changes that are happening in the business environment.
Gominah, T., 2014. GUIDE FOR BUILDING A SUCCESSFUL SPORT MARKETING STRATEGY: Case study GBK Football Club Kokkola.
Hawkins, P., 2017. Leadership team coaching: Developing collective transformational leadership. Kogan Page Publishers.
Housley, W., 2017. Interaction in multidisciplinary teams. Routledge.
Hunter, M. I. and Saunders, M. J., 2012. Service led design: planning the new HR function. Gower Publishing, Ltd..
Khumalo, N. N. Y., 2015. A review of the alignment between the Integrated Development Plan and the performance management system of Capricorn District Municipality(Doctoral dissertation, Stellenbosch: Stellenbosch University).
Krishnan, A., 2013. Culture As a Successor of Quality Initiatives: A Review. International Journal of Social Science. 2(1). p.53.
Landsberg, M., 2015. The Tao of coaching: Boost your effectiveness at work by inspiring and developing those around you. Profile Books.
Lock, D. and Heere, B., 2017. Identity crisis: A theoretical analysis of ‘team identification’research. European Sport Management Quarterly, 17(4), pp.413-435.
Malik, A., 2018. Managing Change and HRM. In Strategic Human Resource Management and Employment Relations(pp. 119-131). Springer, Singapore.
McKenzie, J., van Winkelen, C. and Aitken, P., 2012, September. Developing Effective 1Change Leadership to Build the Knowledgeable Organisation: A Paradoxical Foundation. In European Conference on Knowledge Management (p. 726). Academic Conferences International Limited.
Muenjohn, N. and et. al., 2013. Developing Soft Skills of Leadership: A Review of Hotel Management in Asia.
North, K. and Kumta, G., 2018. Knowledge management: Value creation through organizational learning. Springer.
Oliver, D., Foot, C. and Humphries, R., 2014. Making our health and care systems fit for an ageing population. King’s Fund.
Parker, D.W., Holesgrove, M. and Pathak, R., 2015. Improving productivity with self-organised teams and agile leadership. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management.
Raes, E., Kyndt, E., Decuyper, S., Van den Bossche, P. and Dochy, F., 2015. An exploratory study of group development and team learning. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 26(1), pp.5-30.
Rienties, B. and Kinchin, I., 2014. Understanding (in) formal learning in an academic development programme: A social network perspective. Teaching and Teacher Education. 39. pp.123-135.
Robbins, P. and O’Gorman, C., 2015. Innovating the innovation process: an organisational experiment in global pharma pursuing radical innovation. R&D Management. 45(1). pp.76-93.
Stanton, N.A., Salmon, P.M., Walker, G.H., Salas, E. and Hancock, P.A., 2017. State-of-science: situation awareness in individuals, teams and systems. Ergonomics, 60(4), pp.449-466.
Thorpe, R., 2016. Gower handbook of leadership and management development. CRC Press.
Tian, M., Risku, M. and Collin, K., 2016. A meta-analysis of distributed leadership from 2002 to 2013: Theory development, empirical evidence and future research focus. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 44(1), pp.146-164.
Wiek, A., Bernstein, M., Foley, R., Cohen, M., Forrest, N., Kuzdas, C., Kay, B. and Withycombe Keeler, L., 2015. Operationalising competencies in higher education for sustainable development. Handbook of Higher Education for Sustainable Development; Barth, M., Michelsen, G., Rieckmann, M., Thomas, I., Eds, pp.241-260.
Woodcock, M., 2017. Team development manual. Routledge.
Various performance approach. 2018. [Online] Available Through:< https://www.projectguru.in/publications/approaches-measuring-performance-employees/>.