This assignment is to be discussed every week about half-an-hour during lab hours with the tutors. Students are required to configure server using Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server 2016 by following all the requirements specifies in the below mentioned case study. A user documentation report has to be submitted on Moodle, which should contain the important steps of the configuration with respective screenshots. Also, there will be demonstration for the whole scenario in Week-11 lab class. The presence of all group members is mandatory.
Windows Server with multiple domains
Form a group of three students and inform your laboratory tutor of the names and student IDs of your group members. Assume that your group has been employed by the client company, as described below, to develop a networked system for their required services given in the scenario below.
Groovy Movies is a video rental business requiring to setup a LAN for their office which is located in Perth. They have three different departments named Inventory, Finance and Customer Service. There are 50 employees working in this company in different departments. All objects belonging to these departments should have their own Organisation Unit (OU). The company wants multiple domains with windows server. They require you to implement the following technologies in their LAN:
- Centralized user authentication for different domains (Active Directory)
- Configure a DHCP to acquire automatic IP address.
- Company to host a website as well so a separate IIS server is also required
- There will be two different domains. One is allocated for the administrator and the other is
allocated for everyone else.
- Your configuration should reflect the above criteria and display different privileges assigned
to the different domains.
After creation of a child domain, you will see the following:
- An Active Directory integrated zone on the new domain controller for child domain name. (For example: abc.test.com, you need to choose an appropriate name reflecting your client’s business name).
- A forwarded DNS (Domain Name Server) listing on this domain controller for test .com DNS servers.
- A delegated DNS subdomain on the test.com to new domain controller (test.com is an example (you need to choose an appropriate name reflecting your client’s business name).
Your assignment should be completed according to the General Guidelines for Presentation of academic work. Your submission should contain the following:
1. Write a report by following a standard user documentation report template on the above case study, which should include the following:
- a) A short introduction using 4-5 lines
- b) Design of the Network diagram (any software can be used such as Visio, Netsim etc.)
- c) Configuration of the whole project.
- d) Proper labelled Screenshots from implementation.
- e) Any extra feature that you have added in your project or any difficulties you faced during your project, if any.
- Documentation should follow the standard submission guidelines as follow:
- a) Front page – indicating your Group members’ names and student IDs, teaching staff (Lecturer’s and tutor’s name), a statement of what has been completed and acknowledgement of the names of all assisted you.
- b) List of references used (IEEE style) – Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list. Only IEEE referencing style is acceptable for this assignment.
- The assignment must be submitted using Moodle, one submission for your group. The page
numbers of the assignment must be clear on each page. The report document must be checked for similarity through Moodle/Turnitin while submitting it. Please refer to study skills unit staff if need further assistance. Please note that only one member per group should submit the report.
4. 15 minutes per demonstration in Lab, which will cover all the features mentioned within the scope of the given scenario. All the group members will have to demonstrate. If any member of the group fails to demonstrate, he/she will lose the demonstration marks.
Marking Criteria for Assignment 2
User Documentation Report (A standard template has to be followed)
A short introduction of 4-5 lines about the project scenario
Network Diagram in Netsim or Visio. Packet tracer should not be used.
All the required configuration steps.
All Properly labelled screenshots from implementation
Summary of the project
Configuration of the project
Demonstrate the required configurations with full technical detail and knowledge.
Demonstrate testing of the project.
Group Participation and whole scenario working
Demonstrated the participation of all group members in the project. Answer all questions and ensure whole given scenario is working according to the requirements.
Contribution to Total of the Unit
Marking Rubric for Assignment 2
The outline in the introduction is very clear and concise.
The introductio n stays on topic but could be more clearly written
The introduction is generally relevant to the report
The introduction has some relevance but it is not clearly stated.
This is not relevant to the assignment topic.
The network diagram is depicting the scenario exactly
The network diagram is depicting the scenario to great extent
The network diagram is depicting the scenario with relevancy to topic
The network diagram is depicting the scenario with less relevancy to topic
The network diagram is not depicting the scenario at all.
All topics are pertinent and covered in depth. Ability to think critically and source material is referenced properly in IEEE standard.
Topics are relevant, covered in detail and Soundly analysed and referenced in IEEE standard.
Generally relevant and analysed to some extent. The source is not referenced properly in IEEE standard.
Some relevance and briefly presented in report, no source material is referenced.
This is not relevant to the assignment topic.
All required properly screenshots given
Screenshots are relevant labelled to great extent
Screenshots are reasonably relevant and labelled
Screenshots are not much relevant and not labelled
Screenshot are not given or very less relevancy with poor labelling.
Summarised the project excellent
Summarise d to great extent
Summarised with some relevancy
Lacks consistency and
Not summarised well.
summarised to some extent with little relevancy
Clear Styles with excellent source of reference
Clear referencing style
Generally good referencing style
Sometimes clear referencing
Lacks consistency with many errors
Configurations of the project/10
Demonstrate d very well and excellent ability to think critically with very good knowledge of technical structure. Configured and explain the scenario with good technical knowledge
Demonstrat ed well and excellent ability to think critically with sound knowledge of technical structure. Configured and explain the scenario with reasonable technical knowledge
Demonstrat ed reasonably, ability to think critically with some technical knowledge. Tried to configure scenario to some extent with some knowledge of technical structure.
Demonstrate d to some extent with less technical knowledge. The Configuration is not appropriate and does not demonstrate knowledge of technical structure.
Did not demonstrate at all or no technical knowledge at all.
All components are present and well integrated.
Component s present with good cohesive.
Component s are present and mostly well integrated.
Most Components present.
Group Participation and whole scenario working /15
All group members participated and whole scenario was working.
All group members participated and scenario was working well.
Most group members participated and scenario was working well.
Most group members participated and scenario was working to some extent.
All group members did not participate and scenario was not working properly.